Airfield Construction and Maintenance Services
Colas Ltd is a UK base company that draws on the experience and resources from the international Colas Group, which is one of the largest civil and military airfield contracting organisations in the world.
Colas have an international reputation in the construction and maintenance for both civilian and military airfields. At Colas we have a strong, dedicated research team that have developed some of the most innovative and advanced techniques yet. Colas have one of the lowest lost time incident frequency rates in the industry.
Our mission is to offer an outstanding service and sustainable processes, while delivering the optimum cost effective solution. We are at the forefront of developing new techniques and practices for runway maintenance.
In addition we undertake work ranging from routine maintenance to major airfield construction projects with the highest regard for safety and responsible working practices.
Colas Ltd is currently undertaking a major refurbishment and extension of Birmingham Airport.
Airfield Construction and Maintenance Services - 05/04/2011Colas Ltd - Falkland Island Runway Resurfacing
The completion of 6 key stages of the runway resurfacing project in the Falklands has been achieved. Phase 7 begun in March, with all UK based personnel returning to meet specialist equipment arriving on the incoming Falkland Island re-supply ship to complete the final stage of the project. The usual effort and hard work of all personnel involved on the project has contributed to the following achievements being possible:
- Zero delays to the airbridge
- Zero delays to medivac and compassionate requirements
- Zero delays to operational airfield requirements
- Over 200,000 working hours without a Lost Time Incident
- 36,000m of trench ducting installed
- 230m3 concrete mixed and poured
- 100,000 m of cable installed
- 450 no. transformers and light fittings installed
- 7,500 tons SMA mixed and laid
- 18,500 tons MA mixed and laid
- 12,900 m pervious drainage mixed and laid
- Over 20,000m2 addagrip
- 20,000 m Joint Removal and Sealing
Colas are immensely proud of these achievements in a logistically challenging location working in difficult conditions.