|Company||Orlando International Airport|
Experienced women excel in all facets of the aviation industry at Orlando International Airport (MCO). That professional expertise has been translated into valuable career guidance for Girls in Aviation Day 2020. Presented by Women in Aviation International (WAI), this year’s virtual event features an in-depth video highlighting the diversity of career paths at the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority (GOAA) and MCO.
As a featured airport, Orlando International tapped multiple resources to showcase the varied departments, contractors and stakeholders in which women play a significant role. Included were interviews and information from key personnel involved with administration, operations, baggage handling, air traffic control, security, Fire/Rescue, aircraft maintenance and sustainability:
- Kathleen Sharman, GOAA Chief Financial Officer
- Carolyn Fennell, GOAA Sr. Director of Public Affairs
- Kathy Bond, GOAA Sr. Director of Human Resources
- Vicki Jaramillo, GOAA Sr. Director of Marketing & Air Service Development
- Judith-Ann Jarrette, GOAA Asst. Director Airfield Operations
- Keila Walker-Denis, GOAA Manager of Emergency Management
- Kris Tucker, FAA Air Traffic Manager
- Carole Wright, TSA Stakeholder Liaison
- Laura Spolar, United Airlines Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor
- Kristen Burke, JSM Control Systems Manager
Due to COVID restrictions on in-person events, this year’s Girls In Aviation Day offers global and year-round access via a free Aviation for Girls app that was unveiled in September. With no geographic constraints, the app allows more young people to experience the valuable content, resources, career panel videos, hands-on activities, virtual tours, scholarships, and mentoring opportunities.
WAI’s first international Girls in Aviation Day was held in 2015 and has grown from 32 events and 3,200 participants to more than 20,000 attendees participating in 119 events in 18 countries. Personnel at MCO have played significant roles in past WAI events and currently hold administrative positions in the organization.