The jury chaired by the representative of the Croatian Government – the architect Jerko Rosin, declared best the project done by the company IGH & Neidhardt architects Ltd. & Kincl Ltd. and awarded them the first prize. In the first construction phase the new passenger terminal will allow acceptance and shipping five million passengers a year, and in the second stage eight million passengers per year with a minimum level of service C and all in compliance with the existing security protocols. In front of the new terminal a new apron and new fast output track will be built as well as service roads that will connect the existing and the new apron. For seventy percent of international aircrafts a connection with access via air bridges will be built and thirty percent of international aircrafts and domestic passengers will use the existing apron along the old terminal building.
Project requirements were bonding large format ceramic tiles (1200 x 600 mm), grouting, sealing movement floor joints
in the halls,passenger terminals, offices, restrooms, storage areas and in dressing rooms.
The project further required waterproofing of the wet rooms (public restrooms)
Sika was invited to make a master (50 m2) mock-up, after which the method statement and later the building were done.
- Waterproofing of wet rooms out of which most were made with dry construction (drywalls)
- Sika offered Sikalastic®-200 W, later bonding ceramic tiles
- On the area of 30 000 m2 the designer asked for large for- mat ceramic tiles (1200 x 600 mm) + Sika® Primer-11 W
- Smaller tiles (30 cm x 30 cm), (30 cm x 60 cm) 13000 m2
- Bonding with SikaCeram®-225, filling joints with SikaCeram®
- CleanGrout, sealing with Sikasil Color and Sikaflex®-PRO 3
- In public restrooms black ceramic tiles were laid with SikaCeram®-225 and grouted with SikaCeram® CleanGrout
Due to large format ceramic tiles a double application of adhesive was required and a flexibility class “S1” was obligatory. It is a high-frequency area that is burdened with constant pedestrian traffic. Sika offered high-quality solutions for the entire system: adhesives, waterproofing system, grouting compunds and products for sealing joints.