|Company||Jewers Doors Limited|
Jewers Doors has recently completed the refurbishment of Type C hangars at RAF Benson in South Oxfordshire, England, RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire, England and RAF Leuchars in Fife, Scotland by supplying new hangar doors. Constructed in the 1930s, Type C hangars were sometimes referred to as 'Austerity hangars' and were the largest built by the RAF. In recent years many of the hangar doors – which act as operable walls providing access to the building – have been in need of refurbishment or replacement.
Jewers Doors – the leading supplier of hangar doors of all sizes around the world – offers a door survey and consultancy service on old and failing hangar doors. A full inspection report is provided by a Jewers Doors certified maintenance engineer and a solution proposed. In many case the most cost-effective solution is the design, manufacture and installation of new doors and operating mechanisms. This was the case at RAF Benson where six sets of Jewers Doors' Esavian hangar doors measuring 10.6 metres high by 45.7 metres wide were installed. At RAF Leeming two sets of Esavian doors 9 metres high by 46.3 metres wide were installed, while at RAF Leuchars one set of Esavian doors 9 metres high by 45.7 metres wide was installed. Esavian doors are renowned for low maintenance requirements and for their longevity – so these hangars could well be in use for at least another 70 years.
Esavian Director, Jonathan Jewers, says: "The doors on these old hangars are subjected to considerable punishment over the years but with our refurbishment service the hangars are effectively given a new lease of life. Although they are finished to match the original hangar doors they incorporate our latest developments in terms of engineering and materials."
As well as Esavian doors for aircraft hangars and other maintenance buildings of all sizes, Jewers Doors has a world-class Phoenix range of sliding and folding doors ideally suited to everything from fire appliance depots to train and tram workshops and helicopter and microlight hangars. The company also designs bespoke doors to meet particular architectural or operational requirements for a range of projects from a plant room on a roof to the vehicle deck of a ferry. It has clients across the globe.
Jewers Doors is a family-owned business with three brothers as directors – Chris Jewers (Managing Director), Mark Jewers (Phoenix Director) and Jonathan Jewers (Esavian Director). It was started in 1983 by their father, Nigel Jewers, who maintains a keen interest in the engineering side of the business. It now undertakes contracts throughout the world for governments, armed forces and private companies.
Images: refurbished hangar doors at RAF Benson, RAF Leeming and RAF Leuchars.
Notes for editors
The Type C hangar was the standard design for the post-1934 Royal Air Force expansion scheme and 155 examples were built. Its dimensions of 300 foot long, 150 foot wide and a clear height of 35 foot, were intended to accommodate 100-foot span heavy bombers. Two Type C hangars at RAF Bicester have Grade II Listed Building status.
Four Type C hangars were built at RAF Benson in 1937, initially for Fairey Battle Bombers and then twin-engined Wellingtons. RAF Leeming was based on the site of the Londonderry flying club and Newton House, which was part of the Duke of Cleveland’s estate. It opened officially in June 1940 and became a bomber squadron base during World War II. RAF Leuchars was set up as a training unit in the First World War and came under the control of Coastal Command during World War II – concentrating on anti-submarine and anti-shipping strikes.