The Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation
CANSO – the Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation – is the global voice of air traffic management (ATM) worldwide. CANSO Members support over 85% of world air traffic. Members share information and develop new policies, with the ultimate aim of improving air navigation services (ANS) on the ground and in the air. CANSO represents its Members’ views to a wide range of aviation stakeholders, including the International Civil Aviation Organization, where it has official Observer status. CANSO has an extensive network of Associate Members drawn from across the aviation industry.
CANSO’s Articles of Association describe how the organisation is governed. It is a binding agreement between CANSO and its Members. The Articles describe CANSO’s duties and obligations towards its membership, and the duties and obligations of the Members towards CANSO, in order for the organisation to function in a smooth, effective and sustainable way.
CANSO is organised across five regions with a region director and staff in each region; and three programme areas (safety, operations, policy) with a programme manager responsible for each area. CANSO also has a presence in Montreal to act as the global voice of air traffic management with the International Civil Aviation Organization. CANSO’s central functions include the Director General and the Chief Operating Officer; finance and administration; and communications, events, development and membership.
What We Do
Within the overall context of promoting safe and efficient air navigation service provision, CANSO seeks to:
- Maintain an international forum for developing and exchanging ideas on current air traffic management related issues and forming distinct CANSO policies and positions
- Develop an international network for air navigation services (ANS) experts to enable information exchange between specific air navigation service providers (ANSPs) and other stakeholders to promote best practice within ATM
- Liaise with other transport industry stakeholders, particularly airlines, industry suppliers and airports, for the overall benefit of the aviation industry
- Contribute to the continuing global air transport debate through presenting and promoting the ANSP perspective across the range of contemporary issues in the industry
- Represent the views and interests of Members at relevant international institutions, particularly the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- Promote and support international legislation, regulations and agreements that strengthen the position of Members
CANSO has five regions:
Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Caribbean, and the Middle East with offices in Johannesburg, Singapore, Brussels, Mexico City and Amman. Each region has a CANSO Region Director. In addition, the CANSO Director ICAO Affairs is based in Montreal.
CANSO’s regions lead regional and national air traffic management initiatives, within the framework of CANSO’s global policies and CANSO’s strategic framework, Vision 2020. They operate across the three broad areas of safety, operations and policy, working with industry stakeholders and States to transform ATM performance in their regions and globally. They represent the interests of ANSPs and the air traffic management industry on initiatives such as: regional airspace harmonisation; further improving safety through seminars and sharing best practice; and operational improvements such as the implementation of performance-based navigation (PBN) or ADS-B as part of ICAO’s Aviation System Block Upgrades.
CANSO’s communications department promotes the Organisation’s values and policy objectives. It works closely with the Association’s Regional Offices to coordinate messages and lobbying, and helps facilitate internal communications between Members.
Websites and Publications
The CANSO website www.canso.org provides extensive information on Air Navigation Service Provision to Members, the Industry and to the general public.
Airspace is CANSO’s flagship magazine, a quarterly publication with a focus on debate and analysis, and the leading thinking from the world of ATM. All previous issues can be viewed online or downloaded in pdf format from www.canso.org/airspace.
CANSO News is our monthly newsletter keeping readers up-to-date with the activities of the Association and its Members.
ATM News is a free email newsletter produced every week and sent to subscribers, with summaries of all the latest stories relevant to ATM. It is the principle publication for ANSPs and supplier companies to reach the CANSO database with their news.
- CANSO News
- Update Asia-Pacific
- Update Europe
- Update ICAO
- Update Middle East
- Various documents, brochures, and material
Conferences & Seminars
CANSO’s Regional Conferences and Seminars aim to build ANS capability around the world by providing leading ATM organisations and regional stakeholders a forum to address priority issues together.
CANSO BV is a subsidiary of CANSO (Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation), executing its revenue-generating activities in partnership with CANSO Members and other industry stakeholders. It has been established to facilitate and serve the implementation of CANSO’s commercial revenue objectives, and its broader strategy and global activities.
To provide commercial high-quality air traffic management (ATM) products and services in partnership with the industry for the industry.
- To provide high-quality products and services enabling the transformation of global ATM performance, developed in collaboration with CANSO Members and industry stakeholders
- To be the chosen global business partner for organisations aiming to introduce these products and services
- To inspire CANSO Members and industry stakeholders to develop these products and services
- To provide revenue for CANSO
Products and services
Global leaders of the air traffic management (ATM) industry met in Copenhagen at the CANSO Global ATM Summit and 21st Annual General Meeting 12 - 15 June to discuss key challenges and opportunities for the …
CANSO helps air navigation service providers to reduce emissions on the ground as well as in the airThe Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO) has launched a new initiative to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from air traffic management facilities. The new CANSO publication, Air Navigation Service Provider Carbon Footprinting: A Best Practice …
CANSO Global Head Office
Transpolis Schiphol Airport
Polaris Avenue 85e
2132 JH Hoofddorp
- +31 (0)23 568 5380