Recife/Guararapes–Gilberto Freyre International Airport
Aeroporto Internacional do Recife/Guararapes – Gilberto Freyre is the airport serving Recife, Brazil. It is operated by AENA. Some of its facilities are shared with the Recife Air Force Base of the Brazilian Air Force.
Originally called Ibura Airport, the airport had its name changed to Guararapes Airport in 1948. The facility originated at the time of World War II, when a new airport was built to replace the earlier airfield, Parque do Encanta Moça. With the end of the War, the facility became strategically important as a technical and refueling stop on the route from South America to Europe.
On 18 January 1958, a new passenger terminal was inaugurated, replacing the original facility. During this time, runway 14/32 was extended from 1,800m to 2,010m, and runway 18/36 was extended from 1,800m to 2,400m.
In 1979, an agreement with Infraero was made in order to further develop the airport complex. The passenger terminal underwent its first major renovation in 1982 and another enlargement in 1990.
In 2004 a brand-new passenger terminal was built, including a new shopping mall, thus generating more traffic and revenue. Furthermore, a new concourse was opened in 2004 and the airport’s capacity increased from 1.5 to 9 million passengers/year. Today, the runway is 3,300 meters long, the longest in Northeastern Brazil.
The Brazilian Integrated Air Traffic Control and Air Defense Center, section 3 (Cindacta III) is located in the vicinity of the airport.
Praça Min. Salgado Filho, s/n - Imbiribeira, Recife - PE, 51210-902
- +55 81 3322-4188